Saturday, January 21, 2017

Jesus to Humanity: Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)


I didn't really think through this plan of mine of reading 52 books in 52 weeks. At this, my beloved would smile knowingly and nod. I have a reputation of jumping first and asking questions second.

Questions such as:

  1. Will there be any particular order to what I read?
  2. What do I do with books that are too long/hard to read in only a week?
  3. What happens when I have to write a bazillion other things in the week BEFORE I can get to the blog? Like. You know. The sermon?
And so, 21 days into this endeavour, after I'm already ankle-deep into this commitment, these are the answers to the questions I should have asked earlier in the process:
  1. No.
  2. I will spread it out the reading and do a little bit at a time. I've discovered I have at least two books that fit into this vexing category. I have a plan for one. I'm hoping for some Divine intervention on the second.
  3. Wait until the social media goddess nags me a bit and then write standing up while waiting for my hockey player to get on the ice.
So, with that clarity in mind and having no set rules on what I read week by week, I set about deciding my book for this past week. I chose, for my reading pleasure, the thinnest book in the pile, A New Take on the Ancient Story by Clair Woodbury. And thank goodness that I did because to say it's been a full week, even without the extra reading, would be an understatement.

A number of years ago, when I was still training for ministry, I attended Learning Day hosted by Calgary Presbytery. Clair Woodbury and Joyce Madsen from the Congregation Life Centre led a session on engaging youth with the story of Jesus. I was taken with they way they presented the history and ministry of Jesus and the development of Christianity that happened after his death. And, of course, I bought his books. (That's right, there's another one somewhere in the pile.)

Clair's book is delightful read--gently walking the reader through the origins of Christianity that came into being when people began to recognize within Jesus, a man of deep faith, a leader of people from all walks of life and a prophet who spoke of God as father, as abba.

In a week of news filled with so-called Christians cheering on the American President-Elect as he prepared to take the Oath of Office, what I appreciated most about this book was the way Clair explained, quite simply, how theology has evolved over time. And how many Christians understand the Bible and the teachings of Jesus through the lens of a progressive, liberal theology. 


And I liked his summary of how Jesus wanted us to be in the world as God's children. It really is not that complicated:
"To be a follower of Jesus is, in one sense, incredibly simple - you only need to love." 

No comments:

Post a Comment