Friday, August 7, 2015

What Time Is It Again?

I got up at 3:50 am today. 3. 50. AM.
As in, ten minutes BEFORE 4 am. In the morning. Today.
And now, it's some 13 hours later and it's 10:30 pm.
No, I didn't forget to tell time and math is not being hard for me today. The time shift is easy to explain. All I need is one word.
Newfoundland.

That's right. Newfoundland happened to me today.
This morning started out like a bad joke you play on a good friend by setting their alarm clock to a random time in the middle of the night, hoping they don't actually look at the time but assume it really is time to get up. The problem was, it WAS time to get up. So, no happy relief after having a shower, realizing I could go back to bed for a few hours. Nope. It was time to go to the airport. And, of course, Tim's for a steeped tea. Mmmm. LOVE steeped tea.

I was quickly on my way to Corner Brook, NL for the United Church of Canada's 42nd General Council (otherwise known as GC42). Those of us going to GC42 from Alberta & Northwest Conference were asked to post their travelling photos so I set mine up as church-geeky as I could while waiting for my second flight.
My UCC jacket, the latest Observer (United Church magazine), the DUCC (Diakonia of the United Church of Canada) banner to hang up at GC42, proof of my diligent readings of the 1100 page GC42 Workbook opened to the controversial One Order of Ministry Proposal that will cause a bit of aggravation this next week and my second round of caffeine - Starbuck's version of the London Fog.


Our little plane to Corner Brook was filled with only two types of people:
  • United Church people
  • Other (not random Others but a big group going on some sort of cruise. It sounded like fun.)
The confusion really set in when leaving Deer Lake Airport. 

Have you ever been to Deer Lake Airport? If you have, I would totally understand you saying, "Vicki. How could you ever be confused at Deer Lake Airport? It's that tiny." But then, I would know you haven't read my second blog post. I can get lost in a paper bag. However, this time it wasn't my fault. And I wasn't really lost. Just confused. Remember? Sheesh. Keep up.

Anyway, I left the airport to discover there were two, almost exactly the same coach buses waiting for passengers. Which one was for the cruise and which one was for GC? No signage, no one I recognize. Sigh. Luckily the super nice and welcoming lady at the GC42 table crossing off names and offering cookies came outside just as I was having anxious flashbacks of the time I had to choose which change room to go into: "US" or "THEM" (let's just say I chose wrongly and there was more than enough embarrassment for everyone involved). She pointed to me to the correct bus and I didn't end up on a cruise I had paid for. Hmm. Maybe I need to rethink that.




So, I'm all safe and sound in Corner Brook at the Grenfall Campus, ensconced nicely in my dorm room, wondering who my room mate next door will be.



I DO know who my room mate in the bathroom is and that's this guy. He's sketchy. And I don't trust him. And I can't squish bugs. And I have no outside door close enough to shoo him. I hope he doesn't come into my room. My mom could squish bugs. Sometimes, I suppose, you just need your mom to come save you and that's that.


So now that's it's almost 11 pm here in Newfoundland, I will try to trick myself that it's bedtime and get some sleep. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment