Thursday, April 23, 2015

Getting Lost in the Drop In Centre


Last month a few of us from Symons Valley United Church went on a tour of The Drop In Centre. Our congregation began making sandwiches for The DI every Communion Sunday since last October and we thought it would be good to understand the organization and people we trying help. So Jordan from The DI gave us a tour one Saturday morning.

Jordan had his three year old with him. Sarah, my ministry teammate carried her 7 month old in a baby carrier. Our preteen and teenage children came along. We saw where the 1200+ clients are served meals and the classrooms where clients can earn certificates and industry tickets. We wound our way carefully through the back area where the intoxicated were on the floor, sleeping off whatever it is they were on. We saw the working poor's modest sleeping accommodations that they return to each evening after a day of work.

We wanted to buy the t-shirts The DI are promoting as a fundraiser. I agreed to take orders and go pick them up. So I did. Cause I always do what I say I'm going to do. Almost always. Generally. And, for proof that I did, here they are:



It sounds like an every day sort of thing, doesn't it, going to pick up some shirts? But it wasn't. It really wasn't.

First of all, I suck at navigating. Let's just say if I were ever to be accepted on the Amazing Race (which would be the MOST AWESOME THING EVER!), I would have to do the driving cause I am just that bad at navigation. I cannot orient myself in the world. Direction and distance are often a mystery to me. I would die of exposure if ever lost in the forest before I could ever find my way out.

Anyway, let's just say I got a bit turned around once leaving the fly-over into downtown from Memorial. I saw a fair section of the downtown core before admitting defeat and getting Google map my way there. My next vehicle will talk me through situations like this - the Yukon is disappointingly silent in these times of crisis. Talk about First World problems.

The staff pointed me in the right direction but I must of looked a wee bit wary (see above regarding my navigational issues) because one of the security staff offered to take me to Admin Office. We walked through a locked door, across that back room I mentioned above, which was surprisingly full of people sleeping considering it was only noon. And then through another locked door. 

The nice security fellow called the elevator for me with his special badge. And then used the badge to push the button for the sixth floor. He noted that the B button was already lit up. He explained the elevator would first go to the basement and then to the sixth. After he assured me that it was easy to find the office once I departed from the elevator, I thanked him and he let me go my merry way. 

Which was a mistake. The elevator did, indeed, descend to the basement. Doors opened and closed without anyone else boarding. And then the elevator ascended back to the main floor. The doors opened and light on the sixth floor button went out. Apparently the elevator was going no where without a special badge.

Sigh. I exited and looked around to see what help I could find. No help. No one was there. And, as The Drop In Centre takes security very seriously, I discovered I was locked into the receiving warehouse. Any internal doors were locked. I wasn't sure if I went through the stairway doors that I could get through any other door onto the above floors.I could get outside but I wasn't sure where I would end up. Remember, I don't orient well at all.

Luckily I had my phone with me and my momma didn't raise no fool. I looked up the phone number for The DI, called the Centre and asked for Jake, the nice guy selling me the t-shirts. I sheepishly explained to him that I was lost somewhere in the very same building he was working in and asked if he would come get me. Which he did. Cause he's nice that way. And then he walked me to my truck. Let's just say he's made my gratitude list for today.

1 comment:

  1. LOL Vicki, that's hilarious!! I could navigate for you, on the race, I'm very good at that. :) and I'm surprised your family hasn't gotten you a GPS yet

    ReplyDelete